Please note: Our organization is NOT the VA. We do not have VRAP applications, only electronic applications are accepted by the VA for this program and only the VA processes them.
If you need further assistance, please go to http://www.gibill.va.gov/contact.
News from the Veterans Administration:
Applications for the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) will be accepted starting May 15, 2012 for training that begins on or after July 1, 2012. If you are an unemployed Veteran, you may be eligible to receive 12 months of training assistance equal to the full-time monthly payment rate under the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty program (currently $1,473 per month). You must pursue a program approved for VA benefits offered by a community college or technical school. The program must lead to a high demand occupation and result in an Associate Degree, Non-College Degree or a Certificate.
Don’t forget to sign up early as participation in the program is limited to a total of 99,000 Veterans with only 45,000 Veterans allowed to participate prior to October 1, 2012.
The requirements to be eligible for the VRAP program are:
- You must be unemployed the day you apply
- You must be at least 35 but no more than 60 years old
- You must have an other than dishonorable discharge
- You must not be eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g., the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment)
- You must not be in receipt of VA compensation due to Individual Unemployability (IU)
- You cannot be enrolled in a federal or state job training program
- You must be enrolled in a VA approved program of education offered by a community college or technical school
NEPA Veterans Multicare Alliance does not have answers to your questions. Please visit http://benefits.va.gov/vow/education.htm.
8.5.12 – NOTE: We are not the VA, we are a small nonprofit organization in PA. We cannot manage your application for VRAP for you. Before asking questions in the comments, please read through the many comments already posted. A lot of the questions being asked have already been answered below. Also, all the information posted in the answers was easily obtained from the VOW website or by picking up the phone and asking questions. Particularly helpful is the FAQ. We like to be helpful but please understand we are volunteers. Try to help yourself first by actually looking at the resources we have posted for you. You are going to need these search skills to be successful in VRAP =)